Browse Exhibits (10 total)
Between its opening in 1942 as Public School Stadium and its demolition in fall of 2012, Robertson Stadium (also known as Jeppesen Stadium) has been home to high school football, UH football, and the Houston Oilers as well as the Houston Dynamo soccer club. Additionally, some of the biggest names in rock played Robertson during the 1970s and 1980s.
UH Libraries Special Collections would like to thank UH Facilities Planning & Construction, the UH Athletics Department, and Bruce Kessler of RockinHouston.com. Without their contributions, this exhibit would not have been possible.
Mary Manning, University Archivist
The heavy cruiser USS Houston (CA-30), flagship of the U.S. Asiatic Fleet during World War II, fought bravely for her country during actions in the southwestern Pacific. On March 1, 1942, the Houston was sunk by the Japanese, and her surviving crew members were taken prisoner of war. This exhibit tells the story of the Houston and her crew through materials from the Cruiser Houston Collection at UH Libraries Special Collections.
Christian Kelleher, Head of Special Collections
In conjunction with commemorating Arte Público Press’ founding at the University of Houston over thirty-five years ago, in 1979, the Encuentros en Literatura | Encounters and Discoveries in Literature digital and physical exhibits celebrate the breadth of Latina/o literature in the United States throughout the 20th century.
Opening in late January 2016, the exhibits emphasize the pioneering work of Arte Público Press in publishing, recovering, and bolstering the works of Latino authors in the larger context of modern social history and the literary landscape. Specific themes included are: Women, identity, LGBTQ issues, social justice, and children’s literature.
Lisa Cruces, Hispanic Collections Archivist
KUHT, now Houston Public Media’s TV8, was established by Dr. John C. Schwarzwalder, a professor in what was then the Radio-Television Department at the University of Houston. When KUHT went on the air on May 25, 1953, it became the first non-commercial, educational television station in the United States.
In 1981 KUHT was the first television station in Houston to provide closed captioning, and in 1991 became the first station in Houston to offer services for the visually impaired such as Descriptive Video Service audio, and a secondary audio feed for bilingual viewers. KUHT was also one of the earliest member stations of National Education Television, which eventually merged into PBS.
Originally operating out of the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building on the University of Houston campus, KUHT-TV, now part of Houston Public Media, eventually settled into its current location in the LeRoy and Lucile Melcher Center for Public Broadcasting on the University of Houston campus in 2001.
This curated online exhibit contains materials from the KUHT Film & Video collection digitized through a TexTreasures grant in 2017. The KUHT collection in UH Libraries' Special Collections is home to roughly 2000 films and over 12,000 video assets, preserving the broadcast and production history of the nation’s first educational, non-profit television station.
View the full finding aid for information about accessing digital and physical materials from this collection.
The full Audio/Video Repository is also available.
In honor of University of Houston faculty and librarians who have achieved tenure or promotion in rank, the dean of the University of Houston Libraries and the Office of the Provost have established a program celebrating accomplishments in teaching, research, and professional service.
Through the UH Promotion and Tenure Recognition Program, newly promoted or tenured faculty and librarians are invited to select a book that has inspired or encouraged them in their professional journey. Book selections are added to the Libraries' catalog and book-plated, serving as an enduring tribute to the pursuit of excellence in service, scholarship and learning.
Each Fall semester, a reception is held in the M.D. Anderson Library recognizing the faculty and librarians that were promoted as of September 1st that year. Book selections, along with the faculty member’s name, title, department, and personal statement, will be placed on display at the reception and added to this digital exhibit.
In 1979, the University of Houston founded its Creative Writing Program under the co-directorship of poets Cynthia Macdonald and Stanley Plumly. Within a short time, it would become a leading program for teaching the craft of writing, and one of the few to offer a PhD in literature and creative writing.
Macdonald, who would remain at UH until her retirement, was joined on the faculty by famed short story writer Donald Barthelme, poets Edward Hirsch and Richard Howard, essayist Phillip Lopate, novelists Robert Cohen and Rosellen Brown, and playwright Ntozake Shange. During the mid 1980s, Inprint formed as a fundraising group for the program, providing fellowships for graduate students and backing for the student-run magazine Gulf Coast: A Journal of Literature and Fine Arts. The UH Creative Writing Program founded other successful programs, including the Houston Reading Series and Writers in the Schools (WITS), which contributed to the development of a strong literary community in Houston.
Using UH Libraries' Special Collections materials, this exhibition details the founding and first decade of the program, spotlights the lives and careers of faculty members Cynthia Macdonald and Donald Barthelme, and showcases works by alumni who graduated between 1979 and 1989.
Julie Grob, Coordinator for Instruction
Mary Manning, University Archivist
2017 marks the 40th anniversary of the National Women's Conference, held in Houston in November 1977. Over two thousand delegates representing 50 states and 6 territories, as well as 32,000 observers, gathered in Houston, Texas for the historic event, the first federally funded conference charged to assess the status of women across the country and the challenges they faced.
The goal was to create a National Plan of Action for gender equality on 26 planks, issues affecting women including abortion, lesbian rights, minority rights, education, healthcare, and the Equal Rights Amendment. The legacy of the Conference gave rise to increased political activism and membership by women of all backgrounds.
The Conference remains one of the most imaginative and wide-ranging exercises in civic engagement realized in the 20th century. The Spirit of Houston exhibit draws attention to the diversity, ingenuity, and determination of the participants who dared to articulate "what women want."
Materials on display comprise documents and ephemera from the Marjorie Randal National Women's Conference Collection in the Carey Shuart Women's Research Collection. The exhibit was curated by UH students in the Issues in Feminist Research course: Liz Aguilar, Judith Andrade, Hannah Bonner, Mary Garrett, Livia Garza, Sarah Gomez, Kathleen Gonzalez, Paula Hoffman, Xandria Outing, Erica Ray, Nicole Sanchez, Cristal Solares, Liia Thrasher, Nick Tripp, and Demointe Wesley.
Vince Lee, Archivist
This Is Our Home, It Is Not for Sale is the title of a 1987 documentary film by Jon Schwartz that chronicles the history of Houston’s Riverside neighborhood.
Beginning in the 1920s, Riverside Terrace, a subsection of Riverside, was settled by wealthy Jewish families who were blocked by anti-Semitic deed restrictions from home ownership in Houston’s elite River Oaks neighborhood. The neighborhood soon became the center of Jewish culture in Houston and was home to many influential Houston families, Jewish and non-Jewish alike. In 1952, Jack Caesar, a wealthy cattle rancher, became the first black homeowner to move to Riverside. Due to deed restrictions that blocked black Houstonians from purchasing homes in Riverside, Caesar instructed his white secretary to make the purchase in his name and then transfer the title to Caesar. White neighbors on Wichita Street pooled their money to try and buy Caesar out of his home, an offer he refused. Months later, a bomb was detonated on the porch of the Caesar family’s home. Unharmed and undeterred, the family remained in their home.
Through interviews with former and current residents of Riverside Terrace, This Is Our Home examines how anti-Semitism, racism, and profiteering shaped what was once one of the Houston’s most affluent neighborhoods. In particular, Schwartz’s work chronicles how, as the neighborhood became integrated in the 1960s, it was struck by real estate agent-driven blockbusting, white flight, and urban development projects. In the mid-1960s residents who hoped to maintain the neighborhood as an integrated community began a yard sign campaign that proclaimed “This Is Our Home, It Is Not for Sale.”
By the 1970s, Riverside had become a predominately black neighborhood. It continued to be shaped by powerful factors including the construction of Texas State Highway 288, which necessitated the razing or relocation of homes and effectively split the neighborhood in two; the county’s decision to construct a psychiatric hospital in the area; and proximity to Texas Southern University and the University of Houston. The documentary ends with interviews with residents regarding the recent influx of white homeowners moving into Riverside.
Homecoming at the University of Houston is a tradition dating back to 1946. As student enrollment surged following World War II, Homecoming arose as one of many traditions that enlivened the campus. Around this time the football team joined the Lone Star Conference, the marching band was organized, the first bonfire was held, and Frontier Fiesta returned. As UH continues to move forward, the homecoming court, football game, and other festivities still welcome alumni back each fall. Featuring materials from University Archives in UH Libraries Special Collections, this exhibit shows a rich history of Cougars coming together to celebrate their days at UH, as well as the evolution of the University itself. While traditions may have changed over the years, the Cougar spirit marches on.
Mary Manning, University Archivist
Founded in 1927 as Houston Junior College, the University of Houston boasts a rich and unique history. From the humble beginnings of night classes held at San Jacinto High School, to the establishment of the four-year University of Houston in 1933, through the unprecedented growth of the student population following World War II, the establishment of the UH System in 1977, and on to the unparalleled academic achievements of the twenty-first century, the University of Houston's story, in many ways, reflects the growth and evolution of the city it calls home. Traditions like Shasta and the Cougar Paw, or the time-honored celebration of Frontier Fiesta, "the greatest college show on earth," maintain that history.
The UH Timeline captures many of these moments, documenting their time and context in the history of UH and providing access to related materials from the University of Houston Special Collections and University Archives.
Mary Manning, University Archivist